Friday 23 November 2012

You have achieved so much

Remember that. It's something that hit me today as I was doing my habitual though process of beating myself up for what I hadn't achieved that day. Not having finished everything on my 'do' list, not answered all my emails, not written anything for my book, not connected with a friend, called my family, or given myself enough 'me' time. Once again, I was finishing the day going over all the things i'd not done. Then, today it dawned on me... what about all the things I had done? Was I recognising those? Defiantly not as much as I was the things I hadn't. When I stopped to think about all the things I'd done that day, that week, month, this year.. Wow! How much we do day in day out, even the tiny seemingly insignificant  things deserve much attention, because sometimes its those that bring you to the place that you are now. Its so easy to get caught up in doing more, being more, thinking that you are not enough, but what if we stopped thinking like that right now and gave ourselves praise for all the things we do and are everyday. You do enough. Are enough. Achieve heaps. Be that best friend who always tells you how great you are, to yourself. You'll always have the  best friend with you forever.

On todays realisation, I've decided to give myself a big-up. Something I rarely do and hardly ever write about, and my aim is not for praise or kind words from anyone but myself. Instead my aim is to encourage you to do the same. To forget dwelling on whats not been done, and instead what you've done/are. Write a list and read it aloud! Stop looking at that to-do list at whats still left to do, and look at all those things you've crossed off (and if its nothing, then praise yourself for having a day off!) Remember all the amazing things you have done so far this year, cos I bet its loads when you look back. Its so easy to keep looking forwards all the time, that we forget to take a glace backward every so often and take check of where we have come from. So stop 'doing' for a moment and give yourself the biggest hug for being great. You are!

My 'I did it!' list...

  • I have taught 19 raw food workshops so far this year, 3 in Sussex  2 in Switzerland, and the rest in my own cafe! Must have taught hundreds of people about the benefits of raw food now, brill!
  • I have co-written an e-book with the amazing Amy Levin, due to be released early 2013!
  • I have owned my own cafe for 1 year and 5 months and it has been visited by lovely people every day we have been open : )
  • I have started this blog! A place to share and motivate myself to write regularly, in preparation for my recipe book in the future!
  • I have holidayed in India, Cornwall and Wales with my love : )
  • I have practiced yoga at least once a week all year, and swam too
  • I have grown our own tomatoes! Yey! I have to remember this one as I beat myself up for not growing more, as I have done in the past. The tomatoes were amazing and so many other things grew in my garden without me even trying.. figs, raspberries, apples, herbs, nettles.. yum!
  • And most importantly of all, I have co-created a baby! I have grown, nourished, carried, felt and loved a new living being in my tummy now for 6 months and loved every minute. Giving myself loving nourishing care in way of giving it to the little one inside of me. Its the most amazing achievement of all...
Well done me!!!

Now I could extend this list to include lots more things, and I plan to do this at the end of the year. Right now though, I plan to end the day by recognising all the things that have been done as well as what I am grateful for. Now for a recipe to celebrate all that we achieve.. an abundance cake! We are lucky to live lives of abundance  so this recipe came from a feeling of wanting to capture all of the things which are abundant right now. Squashes, root vegetables and apples held together with warming spices and moist sweetness. A cake that could easily pass for your one of your daily portions of veg I say! Because why not eat veg for pud? Why not when it tastes this good! It's my way of celebrating myself, to come up with a recipe and serve it up for friends. Happy reflecting everyone.. eat cake and remember you are great!
 I love this quote : ) So true
Autumn~Abundance cake
(Makes 1 9inch cake. To make a layered cake, double the recipe)

3 cups almond flour ( dryed out pulp from making almond milk, powdered finely) 
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup rapeseed oil or melted coconut oil
1/2 cup honey/ sweet freedom syrup/ powdered coconut palm sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 Tbsp flax seeds
1 cup grated squash (butternut/kuri/ crown prince)
1 cup grated carrot
1 cup grated apple
Preheat oven to 180 deg C. Grease a 9inch cake pan.. In a bowl combine dry ingredients. To make the flax 'eggs', grind some flax seeds in a high speed blender or spice mill, then add 3 tbsp water. mix together and leave to sit for 10 minutes, until you have a thick gloopy mixture. these will act as your eggs.  In a separate bowl combine the flax 'eggs' with the rest of the wet ingredients. Pour wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir to incorporate. Pour into prepared cake pan and cook in oven for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack and ice with some cashew 'cream' if desired.


 Time for tea! Treat yourself to a feast of this seasons abundances, and reflect on what you have achieved  however big or small. Happy baking!



No comments:

Post a Comment